The Greater Port Harcourt City Development Authority is established by law in 2009 with a mandate to facilitate the implementation of the Greater Port Harcourt Master Plan and build the New City. The Vision of the Authority is to transform the Greater Port Harcourt Area into a world class city, internationally recognized for excellence, and the preferred destination for investors and tourist. The objective is to build a well planned city, through the implementation and enforcement of policies that will ensure the provision of first-rate infrastructure and delivery of quality services to enhance the standard of living and well being of the people.
The Governing Body:
- A Part Time Chairman.
- The Administrator.
- Six other qualified professionals in the field of Estate Management, Surveying, Engineering, Urban Planning, Architecture, Quantity Surveying, Building and Law.
- Representatives of Ministries of Justice, Land survey, Urban Development, Works and Environment.
- Two persons representing NGOs and other stakeholders.
Greater Port Harcourt covers an area of approximately 1,900 square kilometres (40,000 Hectares of land) spanning eight Local Government Areas , with a projected population of about two(2) Million people. The New City will be an extension of the old Port Harcourt City. The intent is to allow for urban growth through strategic planning, and de-densification of the old city, whilst gradually integrating both cities as one single unit. The plan is to build a modern city with 24 hours electricity supply, network of reticulated water supply, bulk sewage system, network of good roads/streets, public transportation system, storm water management, waste disposal systems, surveillance systems, well laid out residential, commercial and industrial areas, parks, garden etc.
The New City offers the following opportunities to would be investors:
- * Power generation and transmission
- * Solid waste management
- * Water supply and reticulation
- * Housing project
- * Commercial/office complex
- * Golf course and club house development
- * Urban transport system
- * Funding of the Project will be provided by Rivers State Government and also by Public Private Partnership initiatives.